It’s Coachella weekend 1 in LA, the hipsters and douchebags are all away in Palm Desert. The city feels clear weather-wise and people-population-wise. If I head out to run errands or do whatever this weekend, may the lines be short and traffic easy.
I’m not much in the mood to go outside this weekend, unless I need to. It’s a beautiful day, but gas prices are more than $4/gallon in LA, and I’m recovering from a spring cold/allergy bug that’s been going around. I don’t feel like spending money, plus I need to rest up. My body is telling me to slow down, so I’m listening.
Slow down? How do I do that? I know, life moves fast. So fast that we lose track of time. Days, hours, minutes seem to run together. It’s an endless cycle, where does it end? How do we slow down and appreciate life?
There is an art to slowing down. It involves pausing, assessing, and taking control of caring for yourself.
The Art of Slowing Down: 7 Ways to Take Care of Yourself this Spring
- Set boundaries with people, and enforce them. Guard your time and energy closely.
- Prioritize things. What needs to be done now? What can be done later? Is this important? Does this even need to be done at all?
- Give yourself time. Allow extra time to do things, and to arrive at places. There’s nothing more stressful than the feeling of running late for something.
- Cut out the distractions. Assess how you are spending your time. Is it in furtherance of the things and people that are a priority for you? Make sure whatever you spend your time doing is aligned with those goals.
- Drink water. Spring can mean colds and allergies, which can lead to intense dehydration. Keeping your fluid intake high will help clear out airways and flush out mucus.
- Listen to your body. How do you feel? Are you energized? Anxious? Fatigued? Pay attention to your body signals, and take the time to rest when you need it. And go ahead and schedule a doctor appointment if you feel like you need it.
- Listen to your intuition. If you’re not actively tuned into yourself, your body and the universe will conspire to let you know when you need to slow down, through people and circumstances. Make sure you can hear your inner voice.