In today’s post, I’m going to share how to make coffee without a coffee maker. Backstory: I donated my Keurig machine after it randomly began spitting out at me in the middle of brewing. Luckily I didn’t get burned! I also felt like I needed less “stuff” in my life, and the Keurig took up counter space I needed for other things. So I began researching ways to make coffee without a machine. After testing a few different methods, I found a way that works for me, and that yields a more robust cup of coffee than using a machine. Right now I can’t even see a reason to buy another coffee maker, although I might purchase a french press in the future.
As I previously alluded there are several ways to make coffee without a coffee maker. The method I’m sharing today involves using a basic mesh food strainer, a coffee filter, hot water, and freshly ground coffee beans. Read on for the how-to.
How to Make Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
Yields one large or two regular sized servings.
- A coffee filter
- Measuring cup or bowl
- Coffee mug
- Hot water
- Freshly ground coffee beans
- Optional: sugar, creamer
- Boil hot water (I use my tea kettle for this, but boiling water in a pot accomplishes the same end.)
- Place the coffee filter inside the mesh strainer.
- Put the strainer over a measuring cup or bowl.
- Then put two scoops of coffee grounds inside the filter. You can use fewer or more grounds, depending on your preference.
- Pour hot water over the grounds, approximately 2 cups.
- Let it drip.
- Once it’s done, pour the coffee into your favorite mug, add sugar and creamer (optional), and enjoy.
- Tip: use the leftover coffee grounds to make an invigorating face and body scrub.
Shop my favorite coffee bar essentials:
KitchenAid Blade Coffee Grinder • KitchenAid • $49.99
Schmidt Brothers Kitchen 4-Piece Ash Measuring Cups – 100% Exclusive • $24.99
OXO Angled Measuring Cup • OXO • $6.99
Chemex Pre-Folded Filter Squares • $8.90
Easy Tiger Coffee Snob Mug • $15
Tablecraft TableCraft® 4 3/4-Inch Double Fine Mesh Strainer • Tablecraft • $3.99