I love crab cakes, but I don’t make them as often as I should. It’s not as if they’re difficult to make. I revisited an old recipe from my Pinterest earlier this week, and the result was so delicious that I personally committed to making homemade crab cakes at least once every three months. Kind of like quarterly taxes, except tastier (and I actually look forward to them).
Homemade Crab Cakes Recipe
- Fresh lump crab meat – 1 lb
- Full-fat mayonnaise – 2 1/2 tablespoons
- Dijon mustard – 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Worcestershire sauce – 1 teaspoon
- Old Bay seasoning – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground black pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- Celery (chopped) – 1/4 cup
- Green bell pepper (chopped) – 1/4 cup
- Green onion (chopped) – 1/4 cup
- Panko bread crumbs – 1/2 cup
- One large egg
- Grapeseed oil for frying
- Cast Iron skillet
Add crab meat to a bowl, making sure to check for loose shells and cartilage. Fold mayo, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay, salt, pepper, chopped veggies, and bread crumbs into the mixture. Stir gently until combined. Shape crab meat into patties, and refrigerate for an hour.
Preheat a skillet coated in grapeseed oil. Once hot, place crab cakes in pan and fry for 5 minutes on each side. Serve immediately, and enjoy alone or with tartar sauce.