Although I’m currently in my mid-30s, I still get pimples once a month (usually close to that time of the month). Thus, I end up with dark spots on my face from hyperpigmentation after my breakout goes away. I’ve dealt with breakouts and oily skin since my teenage years, so I’ve tried and tested the gamut of both store bought and homemade dark spot solutions. From well-priced department store treatments to drugstore finds, the best dark spot corrector I’ve found is in my kitchen pantry, using ingredients I always have on hand.
Cinnamon and nutmeg are known for more than bringing warmth and spice to fall desserts. Each ingredient contains natural anti-inflammatory agents that enhance the skin by removing dead skin cells and fading acne scars, becoming especially potent when combined with antifungal, antibacterial benefits of honey.
Honey, Cinnamon & Nutmeg Benefits
- Honey – natural anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antibacterial properties. [source]
- Cinnamon – contains antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, slows aging, gently exfoliates dead skin [source]
- Nutmeg – removes dead skin cells, reduces inflammation, heals blackheads, fades acne scars [source]
DIY Dark Spot Corrector Recipe
- Ground cinnamon (1 teaspoon)
- Ground nutmeg (1 teaspoon)
- 1 heaping teaspoon honey (use however much needed to form paste)
Clean face. Mix cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey to form a paste. Apply mixture to skin. Leave on skin for 15-20 minutes. Rinse well and apply moisturizer.
Note: Remember to always spot test on the inside of your arm for allergies. If you experience a reaction, do not apply.
What’s your favorite dark spot corrector? Share in the comments!