On a recent wash day, I treated myself to a homemade greek yogurt hair mask, infused with honey & coconut oil. The greek yogurt hair mask benefits are plenty – protein and lactic acid add strength, shine, and moisture to strands. Honey and coconut oil penetrate the hair cuticle, locking in even more moisture. It’s amazing how well ingredients from the kitchen work so well together to replenish dry, damaged hair.
Greek yogurt hair mask benefits:
- Greek Yogurt repairs damaged hair by replacing lost moisture. It also adds softness, shine and reduces frizz. (source)
- Honey is a natural humectant that attracts moisture. Strengthens hair, creating an environment for healthy growth. (source)
- Coconut oil penetrates hair to add shine, softness and reduce hair breakage. (source)
DIY Greek Yogurt Hair Mask Recipe:
- Mix ~ 4 tablespoons of Greek yogurt with a heaping tablespoon each of honey and coconut oil.
- Stir to a creamy consistency
- Apply through length of damp hair
- Cover with a plastic cap and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly, and shampoo/condition as normal.
When I finished shampooing and condition, I immediately noticed softer, shinier hair with far fewer tangles. I would swap other ingredients in and out of this mask, depending on what’s available in my kitchen. Ripe bananas, avocados, olive oil are hair mask boosters, while essential oils like tea tree, peppermint and rosemary are amazing scalp treatments. I’ve also used this mask on my face as a homemade acne spot treatment. It’s pretty versatile to use on the skin and hair.
Have you ever tried a Greek yogurt hair mask? What were the results?
Share in the comments!